Monday, June 15, 2009

Games


Emma is just at the cusp of understanding rules to games, so for our G activity we played "Candyland." She knows all of her colors, so actually playing the game isn't a problem; however, her obession with playing "people" was, sort of. When my mom came to take care of Emma when Madeline was born, they spent a lot of time playing with Fisher-Price Little People. In particular, their Little People would go on pretend trips to the zoo. Hence, any time Emma sees any sort of figurine (such as the playing pieces in Candyland), she uses them to go to the zoo. So we played about half of a game of Candyland following the specified rules, and then it fell into a game of going to the zoo. Either way, Emma now knows that game starts wtih G. Oh, and she had fun too.
PS. Originally I had planned to play "Go Fish"--double points for a game that starts with G! But I didn't have time this week to search out a card game with actual fish on it, and I thought she might get confused if we played with face cards. Maybe I'll find one by the time Madeline is ready to learn the alphabet...

2 comments:

  1. I'll admit - I absolutely despise Candyland. There's probably something wrong with me. :) I just couldn't stand playing it, so it was put in timeout once for something Kaia did. It ended up being in the closet so long, I sent it to Goodwill because I figured Kaia hadn't missed it by then and probably never would (fortunately, she's never asked about it since). It's such a relief not to have to worry about playing it again. I know I really am probably weird; I just really dislike the game. Some we do enjoy playing are Uno (probably better for Kaia's age) and this dominoes game we have that have animals instead of dots. I love that both my kids are also finally getting into puzzles (meaning that Asher is finally getting to the age that he likes them, too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching Quinn Candyland has been pure torture. He cries and wants to switch gingerbread men to match the color of his card. It's so funny. I've had to put it away a couple of time because he's gotten so emotional about it. You are doing such a good job with Emma's early education. Lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete