Saturday, January 10, 2009

Methodology

Each week* we will focus on one letter. I've divided the Alphabet Project into daily and weekly activities. Daily activities will be shorter, while the weekly activities will be more involved.

Daily:
1. SEE the letter.
2. SAY the letter's sound.
3. READ a book based on the letter. (For example, for the letter A, we'll read a book about apples.)
4. WRITE the letter.

Weekly:
1. COOK something that begins with the letter.
2. MAKE something that begins with the letter. (Yes, "make" could be the same as cook, but for "make" I'm envisioning an art project or something.)
3. DO an activity that begins with the letter.

*I am expecting baby #2 at the end of April, so I'll probably take a month-long break in May.

1 comment:

  1. Shoot! I just wrote a really long comment that disappeared into cyberspace.

    Here's my original comment in briefer form:
    As far as writing goes, I suggest using sandpaper letters as advocated by the Montessori method. You can google "sandpaper letters Montessori" to see what they look like. I made my own by cutting out letters with my Cricut, tracing them on sandpaper (which I found at the dollar store - 15 sheets for $1!), and then cut them out and glued them to cardstock. This allows kids to actually feel the letters, which helps when they learn to write them. I really like a lot of what I've been reading about the Montessori method and highly recommend getting a book or two on it for more hands-on methods of learning.

    Second, for writing exercises, we've used sand spread out on a cookie sheet. Kaia uses a stylus or chopstick to write letters in the sand. Then she has fun swishing the sand around to try it again.

    ReplyDelete