Monday, January 12, 2009

LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Alphabet Set


Usually, I hate electronic toys. What infant or toddler needs something that beeps, sings, and requires 8 batteries? But. I make a huge exception for the LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Alphabet Set.

I got this for Emma for Christmas, thinking it would be nice and educational, since I knew we were going to be starting the Alphabet Project in the new year. What I didn't know was exactly how educational it would be. I was a little lazy and didn't get it opened and on the fridge until last week. It has been up for exactly 4 days now, and Emma has already learned at least 10 letters and can sing the alphabet song--at least, she knows the melody and skips over some of the letters in the middle. I am feeling a bit deflated that perhaps she doesn't need me to teach her after all??

The downside, of course, is that I've heard the alphabet song probably 30 times a day, and every now and then the refrain "every letter makes a sound" pops into my head. But I think it's a small price to pay for what she is learning (when she thinks she is playing and singing!) While an electronic toy is definitely NOT a substitute for real, live teaching, I think it's an excellent supplement to the Alphabet Project.

PS. I linked to Amazon, but don't buy it there. I think I found it for half the price at Toys R Us.

2 comments:

  1. Our friends have this for their 2 kids and it's great (for kids & adults!). Their 5-year-old son has a great time with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...i totally bought this yesterday on your recommendation. i swear ava is better at singing the abc's already. thanks! cute blog idea too.

    ReplyDelete