Monday, January 26, 2009

A Week in Review

Disclaimer: Yes, I know we ended A week over a week ago, and I'm a little late in posting. We had company in town last week. We are starting B today, but we have more company coming in on Wednesday, so the B posts may be a little late too. Sorry--but not too much. There's nothing like fun visitors to enliven a boring January.

The Alphabet Project is off to a fabulous start. Emma and I had a lot of fun together doing the various activities and reading new books. And best of all, she has totally internalized the letter A and the sounds it makes. She frequently points out A on a magazine that's lying around, a sign we see as we're driving, a poster in the doctor's office--all without prompting, I might add. I call this a rousing success. The one thing that didn't go as well was the writing portion, because her little fingers just can't make very deliberate strokes with a crayon just yet. But we'll keep trying and keep the writing portion as part of the alphabet project.

Anyone out there reading this, or is this blog just for my own documentation? If anyone is out there, and joining us with your own alphabet project, I'd love to hear how it's going for you, successful (and not-so-successful) activities, and great books.

3 comments:

  1. I think your blog is great and I love all the book suggestions. I just wish we were on the same letter :)
    My 2 year-old son and I are on the letter D this week. For B week we made binoculars out of toilet paper rolls and played "I Spy" finding B things all over.
    A couple other activities he enjoys are the ABC print-outs from Starfall.com, and gluing dry beans or pasta to paper in the shape of the letter. He's always proud to show his Dad what he made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading, too! I'm not really doing the activities with my kids just because my brain is in overload mode right now trying to filter all the different preschool ideas I've come across. However, I'm thinking I should just start with this and add other things as I think of them. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense - like I said, my brain has been on total overload the last few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are going to be starting this next week.

    ReplyDelete