Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Noah's Ark by Jane Ray


A note on choosing books: I am using books that we have as home as much as possible, and supplementing with books from the library. My rationale for using books that we own is that Emma can go to them again and again and remember the letters that she learns (plus, as a bonus, we can return to them when she starts reading).

I wasn't very prepared when going to the library, plus I had a squirmy two-year-old in tow. Next time I will search for books online ahead of time to get a good mix. I tried to look some up on the library's computer, but because Emma was being uncooperative that day, I ended up grabbing the first books that I saw on the shelves. So I'm not sure if they're the most effective books, especially this first one.

Emma has another book on Noah called "Noah Builds A Boat," that she loves, but I chose this one because it seemed to use "ark" (and the letter A!) more often. The pictures are fun, but the text comes entirely from the book of Genesis. Which is fine, I believe in the Bible and will someday read the Bible with Emma, but it was a litte heavy for her at two. So we quickly dispensed with the text as written and concentrated on talking about what we saw in the pictures and looking for words with the letter A. Though I am teaching her both the uppercase and the lowercase letters, she seemed to have an easier time looking for words that started with an uppercase A. This probably would not be a problem for older toddlers or preschoolers.

No comments:

Post a Comment