Friday, August 21, 2009

H Books

But Not the Hippopotamus by Sandra Boynton. Yes, it's some more love for Sandra Boynton. Who can resist her quirky sense of humor or distinctive illustrations?

Hush! A Thai Lullaby, by Mingfong Ho. This is a sweet bedtime story that also made a great H book. We loved it so much we have added it to our bedtime repertoire.

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson. This book is a classic, and each time I read it I fondly remember why. Who doesn't want their own purple crayon? As a bonus, this book had just the right amount of text for picking out Hs, and the font was large and easy-to-read for toddler eyes.

The Little Red Hen by Lucinda McQueen. Another classic folktale that also makes an excellent H book. Emma has especially loved this one, and though we actually completed H a couple of weeks ago, she keeps requesting it, so we keep reading it. How could I not encourage a story where those that don't help in the household chores don't reap the reward?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm particularly intrigued by the Thai lullaby book. Since my parents just moved back to the States from Thailand, I'd love to give my kids more exposure to things from Thailand. And, surprisingly, I just checked and our library actually has this one!

    ReplyDelete